Tuesday, September 19, 2006

I am a PENGUIN

and I love wogging - not quite walking, not quite jogging, it's wogging. I read the greatest book yesterday about running. Specifically, about running for beginners. It's called No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running. It's by John "The Penguin" Bingham. He's a columnist for Runner's World magazine. I would highly suggest this book to anyone who is thinking about becoming a runner. The book talks all about the basics of starting to run and addresses a lot of concerns that beginner runners have in a thoughtful, funny and easy-to-read format. It's a fantastic book and I have requested two of his other books from the library. I can't wait until they come in.

In any case, the reason I'm reading about running is because I am going to participate in a 1/2 Marathon next year. I hope to be able to do the Indy Mini Marathon with Becardi in May 2007. So this is my formal declaration of intent. I have already started getting ready to start training in January 2007 (any suggestions are welcome). I discovered last week that I can indeed jog more than a mile all at one time without walking - I'm not going to break any landspeed records - but I'm proud to say that I can jog 2 miles at a 12:30 minute/mile pace. Only 11.1 miles to go to finish a 1/2 Marathon.

3 comments:

broccoflower said...

Hell yeah! Go girl! I'm not going to make fun of people who run outdoors anymore.

Becardi said...

Yeah!! I can't wait to run the Indy Mini with you! It will be so much fun!

Kara said...

You can do it! My half-marathon is September 30....my advice is to follow a training program (at least 16 weeks). It's not overwhelming that way, and I love to check off each training day as I go :) If you need a program I can send you the one I've been using :)