Tuesday, December 05, 2006

The Great Flood of '06

It seems like it's one disaster after another - first, the mice and now, the flood. Isn't there a Bible story about that? Oh wait, that was locusts and some other stuff. In any case, I digress. So sometime between 11P last Thursday night and 8:30A last Friday morning, my parents' basement flooded. Which pretty much sucks, since all our belongings are in the basement because they don't fit in the house. All my mom's living room furniture and decorations, not too mention all the pictures and old school stuff (like art projects, report cards, etc), important files, books, games/toys. A bunch of my stuff was down there too, from my bedroom at home (SYR) and a bunch of stuff from my apt. The list goes on and on.

Apparently, the sump pump stopped working and, given the amount of rain we've had here lately in the Heartland, the water just started pouring in. I got an hysterical phone call from my mother while I was at work around 10A on Friday. So I went home and spent the weekend sloshing through shin deep water, trying to salvage as much of our stuff as I could and throwing out the stuff that couldn't be saved...like about 1/2 of my books, some rugs, a stereo, etc. Well, the situation is almost under control. There's still stuff drying out all over the house. It's a frickin' mess.

And on top of all of this, I got sick. Booo.... It's actually not too bad. I don't feel really sick anymore. Basically, I've just lost my voice, which is a pain in the arse. I get annoyed when I hear myself speak, so I can only imagine how everyone else feels. The judge I work for said I was the perfect woman - I didn't feel bad, so I could still work; but I didn't have a voice, so I couldn't talk. Good thing I knew he was joking ;-)

The weekend wasn't all bad. I had a great time celebrating J's birthday and I hope she did too. And I enjoyed going to the Capital U. Christmas Festival and listening to the various Capital chorus groups perform, despite the frigid nature of auditorium. And I lost 0.8 lbs. last week for an even 5 for the 'Bringing Sexy Back' Challenge. Only 5 more to go to hit my goal. This week should be interesting though. I haven't been OP in days, first due to the flood, then due to the sickness. Hopefully, I'll maintain this week.

1 comments:

Kara said...

Ugh!!! That is AWFUL about all of your stuff! And I can feel your pain about having no voice - I lose mine so often that I am starting to worry that one of these times it won't come back! It's not a fun feeling!