Monday, August 04, 2008

Dub Crawl 4-Miler

So I did the Dub Crawl 4-Miler last Thursday night with JT instead of going to WW. It didn't really go as planned. I hardly jogged any of it. I walked probably 3/4 of the race. I started out fine, too fast, but fine, and then I hit the hill. Between mile marker 1 and 2, it was uphill. And after that, there were rolling hills the rest of the way (or it seemed like that anyway). I was not prepared for hills.

Actually, I wasn't prepared at all for the race. I had been jogging semi-regularly (at least 2x per week) for the month of July and doing between 3 and 4 miles each time I jogged, so I thought I would be fine for the race. I wasn't expecting to break any speed records or anything, but I thought I would at least be able to jog/walk the entire 4 miles. But no. I ended up jog/walking the first 2 miles and walking the last 2 miles. I still managed to finish in just over an hour - 1:02 - which wasn't too bad. I had hoped to finish in just under an hour. But, whatever, it works for me. At least I was out doing something instead of sitting around on my ass.

I have realized, after doing this race and walking it, that I will definitely need to train for the New Albany Walking Classic 10K if I hope to finish in a reasonable time. Sustaining a 15 min./mile pace walking was an effort for the Dub Crawl. I don't know that I could've kept on going for another 2.2 miles required for a 10K. I need to keep that in mind.

1 comments:

Kara said...

Great job doing it! And now you know where you need to get by the 10K! I can't believe I only have two weeks until the Annapolis 10 Miler - yikes!